“Now it came to pass, as they went, that he entered into a certain village: and a certain woman named Martha received him into her house. And she had a sister called Mary, which also sat at Jesus’ feet, and heard his word. But Martha was cumbered about much serving, and came to him, and said, Lord, dost thou not care that my sister hath left me to serve alone? bid her therefore that she help me. And Jesus answered and said unto her, Martha, Martha, thou art careful and troubled about many things: But one thing is needful: and Mary hath chosen that good part, which shall not be taken away from her”.
What Is A Sermon:
- Sermon is a message or exhortation delivered during a church service or religious meeting
- Sermon is an integral part of a church service. (without sermon a church service is not complete).
- Sermon is God talking to us, admonishing us and instructing us through His servant when we gather in His name.
Sermon is meant to achieve a divine purpose in our lives. It is meant to perfect us as Christians and load our lives with benefits of salvation.(Luke 5:1-6). It is not the number of sermons you have heard and received that matters, but the changes sermons are making in your live.
As believers, we are ambassadors of Christ.(1Cor 5:20}. An ambassador is a representative of a country in another country. As Christ’s ambassadors, we must represent our country very well and exhibit our culture and tradition for all to see and identify us for who we are.(Acts 11:26). Sermons help us as Christ’s ambassadors to stay on track and focus. Sermons equip us, as a student, apprentice, artisan, trader, businessman/woman, career worker, government official or minister of God, to be worthy ambassadors at all time and all places.
The Enemy Of Sermon:
Sermon is the word of God, it is the truth of God, it strengthens and establish us as believers, (1Peter 5:10). Therefore as expected, the enemy of sermon is Satan. He deploys his weapons to water down the effects of sermon in our lives. Some of these weapons are:
“The thief cometh not, but for to steal, and to kill, and to destroy: I am come that they might have life, and that they might have it more abundantly”.(John 10:10).
What We Must Do:
- Before leaving home for the church, pray that the day’s sermon should bless you.
- Avoid distractions during service, especially during sermon ministration.
- Take note if you can. This will help you in putting the message into practice.
- Be conscious of everything you do in church during the service.
- Meditate on the message after the service and from time to time recall what the Lord has said to you.
- Revisit the message in your home with your family, discuss it with friends and put it into action in your life.
One sermon fully utilized is better than one hundred sermons abandoned. It is not the number of sermons listened to that matters, but the one that is applied to your life.
Benefits Of Making Use Of Sermons:
- It renews, revives and strengthens you.
- It cleans, sanctifies and opens your receiving channels
- It destroys fear and discouragement.
- It emboldens your courage and faith in God.
- It makes you a better Christian.
- It fights your unseen enemies.
- It delivers you from the powers of darkness.
- It heals you from sickness and disease.
- It opens doors of breakthroughs.
- It keeps you on the path of righteousness and prepares you for rapture.
If you do not have the Holy Spirit, you can not retain a sermon. The enemy will always steal them from you. If you are not genuinely born again, you can not have the Holy Spirit. Check yourself, if you are not born again, cry to the Lord in prayer and He will answer you in Jesus name.